Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Feininger Basket Weave

DSC01443
DSC01441
DSC01416
DSC01450
"Why do you never smile? Because it hurts my lips" -George Harrison in A Hard Day's Night
I'll work on smiling and looking less terrified, I promise.
The boxes are packed, and the fridge is almost empty. I'm moving this Sunday or a bit earlier, I don't even know yet. July 1st is the main moving day in Montréal, and everyone's waiting on the whole town to get a confirmation as to when they're moving--I'm unfortunately part of this circle this year, but the stress will be over soon.

I've been wanting to show you this dress for a while, but never got around taking photos of it until last month. Beside its general shape and fantastic basket-weave pattern, what I really like about it is its obvious history. I managed to authentify its age with the help of the Vintage Fashion Guild's label directory; it's most likely from the late 40s or early 50s. However, it has been hemmed shorter at a later date, most likely (or rather, I like to think!) in the mid to late 60s. I also like to think it was a hand-me-down from a mother to her daughter, who modified it for it to be 'au goût du jour' in her time. As for myself, I found it at my favourite charity shop, where it was mistakently placed in the children's section.

I also need to tell you about the shoes! I bought them to replace a really old pair that was full of holes but that I still sheepishly wear once in a while. I was initially drawn to the first pair because it was "something The Horrors (at the time of their first album) would wear (!!!!!)" (exclamation marks because I was 17 and a big fan and very excited). The replacement pair most certainly had to fill these requirements. I found them barely worn on etsy, they're very comfortable, and their quality is excellent.

1299637150_large-image_lyonel_feininger_broken_glass_1927_012_oil_painting_large
Impossible to find without the watermark, from here. In person, it is particularly hypnotising. I had to run back to have a last look at it before the gallery closed.
It's been raining off and on for the past few days, and I have started wearing the pictured sweater out again. I wore the above outfit to one of the last days of the Lyonel Feininger exhibit at the Musée des Beaux-Arts de Montréal, back in May. While Feininger was known for his comic strip work, his Gothic/medieval inspired paintings as well as his architectural cubism, his works that struck me the most were the wooden toy village he made for his sons, and a study in transparence of varicoloured pieces of glass, pictured above. He was also in charge of the graphic arts department at the Bauhaus, and I managed to view a part of the BBC documentary on the matter at the gallery--if you know any place where it would be available in full online, please let me know! 

6 comments:

  1. I sincerely thank you for posting that quote about smiling. I can relate all too well. Also, I really really love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad you commented so I could discover your blog. I really love it as well!

      Delete
  2. Smiling to yourself is a bit weird I find. I don't come across anything like how I am in real life in photos. I just find smiling to myself far to darn strange. But that dress is super duper awesome! I'd be pretty happy if I got to wear that cardi during my exam today too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope your exam went well!

      Delete
  3. those shoes are just great!

    ReplyDelete

Dear reader, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I do my best to respond to all comments in a timely manner, and although I sometimes may be slow, you can be sure they will all be answered by the time a new post has been published.