Wednesday 30 May 2012

Seasonal sartorial cry for help

Work outfit III

Work outfit II

Summer work outfit I

all by uboparentheses (me) on polyvore.

Here we are again.  Summer, or summer-y temperatures are here to stay, which couldn't make me happier. The only problem at this point is: what on earth am I going to wear? You see, summer clothing for me is quite a strategic affair. It gets so cold in the winter over here that I refuse to wear short-sleeved tops for a good 6 to 8 months of the year, since I get (perhaps psychologically) cold no matter how many sweaters I pile over them. Still, that leaves me with another 4 to 6 months that are not negligible. That's where it gets complicated. I work in a highly refrigerated place where being barefoot in shoes and wearing leg-baring garments is uncomfortable. In summer, it still gets warm enough in my part of the store to wear short sleeves, but here's added another level of difficulty: I have to wear dark or dark-ish colours at all times. And most of my summer clothes are pale.

All this to say, I have no idea what to wear. If you're ever in the Mile-End, you'll probably recognise me instantaneously as I'm the only over-dressed person roaming the streets with a shiny forehead and a big bag containing all my failing attempts at figuring out my sartorial problem, like sweaters, second pairs of shoes, and random socks and leggings threatening to escape.

I've been putting a lot (too much) of thought into what types of summer outfits I can warm up with leggings or tights, but I'm still on the lookout for dark but breezy tops and dresses. Dresses, preferably with elbow-length sleeves so they can do for the rest of the year. Yes, VERY complicated. If you see any nice ones you think might fit the bill, please let me know.

I put together some realistic outfits based on things I already own (well, for the most similar to things I already own), not forgetting the glasses I wear occasionally, the tote bag to stuff everything into, the pair of sandals for the walk to work, the apple I'll most likely be eating because I won't be done my breakfast, and my watch, as not to be late.

Phew! But all in all, Spring so far has been very enjoyable and eventful for me, what about you?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, all great picks! I would wear everything! I have the Clinique Chubby Stick and love it. It's my go to gloss-and-color-in-one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa! I have the Clinique Chubby Stick as well (in the colour pictured--I was trying to be extra-realistic!) and I wear it almost every day, so good :)

      Delete

Dear reader, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I do my best to respond to all comments in a timely manner, and although I sometimes may be slow, you can be sure they will all be answered by the time a new post has been published.