Thursday 20 December 2012

Unlikely Fashion 'Icons'

You know what time of year this is for uni students, and you know my usual excuses for such long absences. But I haven't forgotten I have a blog, and have been thinking of quite a few things I want to share with you now that I have a bit of free time.

Over the past month, between two exams or essays, I have rekindled my interest in... Harry Potter, and finished watching the movie series. This is one thing I haven't mentioned here yet, but the Harry Potter series was actually a huge influence on me growing up; I started it at age 9, and the last book was published when I was 17--and yes, I waited outside a bookshop at midnight to get my hands on it. One of the proudest moments of my first 10 years was when I got to play Hermione in a Christmas pageant, and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was the first book I read in English that wasn't assigned by a teacher.

So, why these confessions (are you perhaps asking)? Because as I was watching the last three movies, I noticed something I had forgotten: that Fred and George Weasley have awesome style. So does the rest of the Weasley family, but Fred and George are particularly well-dressed. When reading the books, I usually portrayed most wizard characters to be wearing some kind of wacky vintage-inspired outfits, some of them being more clean-cut and formal while some others relying heavily on 1970s fuzzy-cabin chic (feel free to spread this amazingly technical fashion term, perhaps Vogue will pick it up eventually). While I was initially a bit disappointed with some of the costumes (and then got over it), Fred and George have always been dressed in the manner I had portrayed them in my head.

The-Halfblood-Prince-fred-and-george-weasley-19233097-652-460
 
Fred-Mr-Weasley-George-Goblet-Of-Fire-fred-and-george-weasley-1954389-800-543
 
Fred-George-Order-Of-The-Phoniex-fred-and-george-weasley-1952935-1024-787
 
Fred-George-Order-Of-The-Phoenix-fred-and-george-weasley-1953001-1000-633
 
Fred-George-in-Deathly-Hallows-pt-2-fred-and-george-weasley-28898837-853-480
 
fred-and-george-weasleyfred-and-george-weasley-4
Fred-George-in-Deathly-Hallows-pt-1-fred-and-george-weasley-23116411-900-506


fred-and-george-fred-and-george-weasley-32576560-500-209
And a Christmas .gif, just for good measure and awesome sweater vests.
I thought you might want to know that all of the above photos are in a file of their own on my computer carefully labelled "Fred and George, Fashion Mavens."
I have been attempting to integrate some elements they sport into my daily outfits, only to realise that the reason why I like their style so much is because they wear a more pattern-clashing version of what I alreay have, hrm hrm:
-tweed jackets
-patterned wooly sweaters
-un-ironed shirts
-corduroy
-bright sepia colours
-plaid
-ditsy flower prints

I'm pretty sure I should have a bit more time to post before I visit my family for Christmas, but if I don't, I hope you all have a lovely Christmas (if you celebrate it) and some well-deserved time off.

Photos borrowed from FanPop and HarryPotterFans


3 comments:

  1. Ahh, this post is amazing! I'm always a fan of unlikely style icons.
    And while on the subject of the fantasy genre and alpine sweaters, you can totally go ahead and use the Narnia Find expression.

    Also, glad you liked the Big Chill. It's actually right by me on my shelves at my parents house asking to be watched again. It's all about them dancing in the kitchen to The Tempatations. Feel free to chuck any film recommendations my way. Making the most of the last days of freedom before exams and assignments start again. (sure you're in the same boat)

    Happy New Year! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS! As a bit of a Harry Potter geek and particular fan of the Weasley twins, I thought you should know this.

    Brogan
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Dear reader, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I do my best to respond to all comments in a timely manner, and although I sometimes may be slow, you can be sure they will all be answered by the time a new post has been published.