Friday 7 September 2012

Last Spring

Spring 2012


Spring 2012
 
Spring 2012
Spring 2012
The Oscar Wilde coat in action. When I was little, as soon as the first flowers of Spring would open in the flowerbed, my father would grab his camera and take a photo of me, half-hidden behind the flowers. No flowers for me this year, but it was time for my yearly, completely justified, perpetuation of this photographic tradition.
Spring 2012
Spring 2012
That was an amazing day for photos; too bad half of them didn't scan well. Each droplet of water reflected sunlight, and the rain looked like a crystal shower.
I took these photos between April and June of this year, but only got around getting them developped and scanned recently. Of my own very limited 'work', I believe this set is my favourite; I always try to use the cheap plastic lense of disposable cameras to capture light in a soft, somewhat diffused manner, and this is the closest I have come so far to reconciling my mental vision of my photos and the actual results.

Since last post, I have 1) gotten a new computer; 2) started sewing a dress thanks to the awesome Jessica (more on that if I can manage to sew the sleeves properly); 3) gotten another cheap, aweful haircut; 4) started school. I'm very happy with all my classes (especially 'Sound & History'), but I feel submerged by the workload already.
How have you been, what are you working on these days?

9 comments:

  1. What lovely photos!
    I should have put instructions on. That pattern is easiest if you sew the sleeves on first and then sew the side seams all the way from the bottom of the dress right to the cuff of the sleeve. It saves you having to line them up! properly! Hopefully that makes sense it's really easy if you do it in that order :) Sorry for not supplying some instruction and I can't wait to see the result!!
    I have another load of sewing ready to show from these holidays but I'll try put some photos of something else up first.
    I really want to get a disposable camera to play with! They did indeed some out lovely and soft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Also, no worries! I used a mix of your pattern and a very similar pattern (from Butterick, I think?) and followed their instructions. But when I called my mother as to why I wasn't able to sew the sleeves properly, she said the same thing as you. Do you think it would work if I unstitched the dress below the sleeves, put the sleeves in place, and sewed the body of the dress back? I'm really looking forward to seeing your next load of sewing!

      Delete
  2. i just stumbled across your blog, and very much look forward to having more time to trawl through your archives! you've created a beautiful space - i love the soft lighting of your shots and the nostalgia - it makes me crave lazy sundays and being bathed by sunlight. - soph http://meidjeverloren.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Soph, I think this is one of the best compliments I have ever received!

      Delete
  3. That tradition and your coat and pictures are just lovely! :)) continue on your endeavors, because they pay off :)) I'm currently working on not freaking out about the amout of work I have to do haha XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nana! I know I can't always follow my own advice, but don't freak out :) It's true hard work usually pays off in the end!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photographs - I love the light, and adore your little Oscar Wilde coat1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katherine! The coat is one of my all time favourite thrift shop finds!

      Delete
  5. that jacket is incredible, and lovely images (especially 2-4)! I think you just talked me into sewing a jacket out of velvet this winter.

    ReplyDelete

Dear reader, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I do my best to respond to all comments in a timely manner, and although I sometimes may be slow, you can be sure they will all be answered by the time a new post has been published.